Reporting to: Software Team Lead
My client is a world-leading SME who designs and manufactures state-of-the-art robotic measuring instruments for use in such fields as biomedical research, optics, automotive and aerospace. They are seeking to recruit a Test Engineer / Application Engineer to help the company’s development team and processes cope with the rapid growth in demands for their optical coordinate measuring machines.
Who you are:
You will and have an engineering/mathematical background, good understanding of testing and test automation, and will have previous experience working on integrated hardware/software solutions in a field such as automation and robotics or metrology industries, or a keen interest in working in such an environment. CMM programming experience would be a significant advantage. Ideally you will also have some software programming experience (preferably in C# and .NET, but perhaps C++ or other languages).
To help ensure the quality of software solutions, many of which will interface to, and control, cutting-edge hardware systems, and working on future improvements to testing strategies and tools. The role will initially be mostly focused on testing, and improving automation of existing tests, but the opportunity will exist to further develop existing application and software skills and move towards an engineering role.
Post Holder – Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Testing software developed in an agile environment, including setting up machines for running manual and automated tests, and initial analysis of data produced, using Excel, creating charts, reviewing diagnostics data and logs etc.
- Developing new automated tests using appropriate tools and programming languages
- Working with Team Foundation Server.
- Working closely with a small team of software engineers.
- Improving testing, applications, mechatronics and software skills, diagnosing and fixing issues found.
- Helping work on the company’s long-term software testing strategy.
- Interfacing with third-party hardware and software.
- Understanding and updating algorithms developed for both data analysis and robotic control, including CMM programming.
Occasional travel to customers’ sites might be required. Destinations are likely to be, but not limited to UK, Europe, USA.
- Mechanical engineering or mechatronics qualifications or experience (HD)
- Experience of testing (both manual and automated) [HD] preferably in a manufacturing, industrial or engineering environment (D)
- Applications engineering experience (HD)
- CMM programming experience (HD)
- Knowledge of the testing lifecycle. (HD)
- Experience with issue tracking systems [HD] – for example Team Foundation Server (D)
- Familiarity with the use of mechanical tools, test and measurement equipment. (D)
- Understanding of functional, long-term, stress, performance, regression and user acceptance testing (HD)
- Ability to analyse and review requirements, specifications and models for testability. to prepare test plans, and to produce test reports on testing carried out. [E]
- Ability to provide support to software and hardware developers during test execution, setting up and running tests, evaluating and recording results and raising defects (E)
- Good skills with Microsoft applications including Excel and Word (E)
- Experience with SQL Server and the creation of SQL queries (HD)
- Experience of working in an agile software development environment (HD)
- Fluent written and spoken English (E).
- Strong academic background in computing, science, maths or engineering (HD).
- Experience in 3-D visualisation, i.e. OpenGL, DirectX or similar (D).
- Background or interest in robotics, automation, image processing, metrology or similar (D).
Key Business Attributes
Maintain confidentiality with respect to customer information and the companies own IPR (E).
Attention to fine detail and quality at all times (E).
Ability to manage and plan work to meet deadlines and respond to changing priorities (E).
Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with suppliers, customers and colleagues (E).
Good organizational skills and detail-oriented mindset. (E)
Experience in improving software testing processes (HD).
Highly self-motivated individual capable of working with minimum supervision, individually and as part of a team, in a dynamic environment (E).
Able to work to tight timescales and sometimes under pressure (E).
A flexible approach to work; able to work occasional overtime at short notice (E)…… click apply for full job details
Employment Type Permanent
Advertiser Type Advertising Agency