GOV.UK is the award-winning single domain for the UK government. Around 10 million people interact with GOV.UK each day, and this number is growing. When people need or want something from government, they go to GOV.UK – as the trusted, canonical source for government. People may want the latest information and guidance on coronavirus (COVID-19) or Brexit, or want to register to vote, get a passport or apply for a driving license.
Since its launch in 2012, GOV.UK has continued to innovate. It’s already starting to deliver on its ambition to deliver joined-up and personalised interaction for users, so that we can provide the right things to the right people at the right time, in the way they want to use them.
The Director, Head of GOV.UK holds overall responsibility for all aspects of the Government’s single platform for most digital services. You will be responsible for the GOV.UK product (the website and publishing tools built and operated by GDS and their ongoing iteration), setting the vision and strategy for GOV.UK, ensuring work across product and content delivery teams is aligned and producing value for users and government, and providing visible senior sponsorship for their work.
As the Director, GOV.UK you will oversee the strategic use of GOV.UK by content, policy and communications teams across all central government organisations to publish and manage their services and information.
As the Director, GOV.UK you will:
• work with senior colleagues in No. 10 and the Government Communication Service (GCS), to lead cross-government editorial planning around key government events
• own and iterate a long term vision and strategy for GOV.UK’s platform and content
• act as a vocal and visible ambassador for the strategic use of GOV.UK by central government
• lead content operations in GDS, comprising the central content and service design teams
• ensure the effective management of the GOV.UK budget
• be a member of the GDS Executive Team, jointly leading the organisation to support the digital transformation of government
You will manage two Deputy Directors and be responsible for a headcount of approx 220 people working on the GOV.UK platform. You’ll also have further influence and reach across a community of 1,000+ publishers across government, located nationwide in the UK and across 200+ countries.
We are looking for people that have:
• a thorough understanding of a variety of disciplines involved in digital delivery, which could include engineering, service design, performance analysis and user research;
• a proven ability to develop a flexible, responsive and creative culture which mobilises the team to accommodate changing priorities and be resilient, under pressure;
• successful delivery of digital products and/or programmes at scale, with demonstrable experience setting, monitoring and reporting measurable product performance objectives;
• excellent personal leadership skills, capable of building a high performing team and operating at pace, with experience of leading multidisciplinary teams in an agile delivery setting; and
• outstanding verbal, written and visual communication and influencing skills, with an ability to build effective relationships at the most senior levels and operate successfully in a political or complex environment, and the confidence to interact with the most senior civil servants in the country.
- Access to learning and development tailored to your role
- 25 days annual leave + an extra day off for the Queen’s birthday
- flexible working options to enable you to achieve the work-life balance that right for you
- civil service pension with an average employer contribution of 22%
- training and development opportunities
- interest-free season ticket, tenancy deposits and holiday advances
- an in-year bonus scheme
- bike loans
- eye care vouchers
Selection process details
We recommend that you read the candidate pack here before applying. Please contact if you have any questions about your application.
Employment Type Permanent
Advertiser Type Agency