Environmental & Social Senior Manager Opportunity
Althelia Funds is a fast-growing impact asset management company headquartered in London, with projects in Latin America, Africa and Asia. We currently have two funds under management – the Althelia Climate Fund (ACF) and the Althelia Sustainable Ocean Fund (SOF). ACF works in areas of high deforestation, financing sustainable land management projects to reduce deforestation and the associated carbon emissions. SOF invests in projects driving sustainable use of our ocean resources, from MSC certified fisheries and ASC certified aquaculture, to supporting marine protected areas and eco-tourism. In addition, we have recently been appointed investment advisor to a sustainable agriculture fund that will support the implementation of environmentally and socially positive practices across the agriculture sector.
This opportunity is to lead the Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) & Impact team, ensuring our ESG policy and approach remains best-in-class, assessing the environmental and social risks of projects across our portfolio of funds, measuring their positive social and environmental performance and working closely with individual projects to improve their performance. Our small ESG team of conservation and social specialists ensures that the investments made by Althelia Funds are providing substantial environmental and social benefits to the environments and communities where they are based, driving the transition to sustainable livelihoods. We are looking for someone with experience of landscape and agricultural projects, biodiversity conservation and managing small teams.
This role is based in London and is initially a fixed-term contract (minimum of 9 months). Applicants should provide a CV, including contact details of two referees, and covering letter to by 20th March 2019 (referees will not be contacted without your prior agreement). Please put the job title you are applying for as the subject of your email to make sure your application does not get lost. Due to a last minute change of plans, this is a new posting for a position that has been advertised previously – previous applicants need not reapply.
This is a full-time position, however we are open to strong part-time applicants at a minimum of 3 days per week and available to undertake site visits of a maximum of 2 weeks duration.
• Be part of the high-calibre team that assesses the environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks and impacts of potential projects, input to investment documentation and expert board meetings
• Manage and oversee ESG monitoring and engagement with existing investments
• Lead on developing new ESG policies and operational procedures for new investment funds
• Maintain an understanding of international best practice on ESG management to ensure that Althelia Funds’ ESG policies and procedures remain best-in-class
• Manage the data analysis and writing of the Althelia Funds’ Impact Reports
• Manage the ESG team and work as part of a small collaborative company
• Minimum 5 years’ experience applying environmental and social standards to small/medium-sized environmental and social projects (including experience with applying the IFC Performance Standards)
• Proven track record managing a team
• Experience measuring and reporting on social and environmental impacts of projects
• Undergraduate/graduate degree in an environmental or social discipline
• Excellent written and spoken English
• Excellent time and project management
• Availability and willingness for global travel
• Right to work in the UK
• Experience with conservation, sustainable agriculture or fisheries/aquaculture projects
• Experience with sustainability certifications e.g. Rainforest Alliance
• Experience of applying ESG in an asset management/banking environment
• Spanish or Portuguese – speaking and writing
About Althelia Funds
Althelia Funds is an impact investment fund platform that makes investments targeted at promoting conservation, improving local communities and generating sustainable products, in both terrestrial and ocean landscapes. Althelia Funds is managed by Mirova Natural Capital Limited, an affiliate of Mirova Natural Capital and Natixis Investment Managers.
Employment Type Permanent
Advertiser Type Company