We are seeking a strategic and collaborative Head of Compliance to be WWT’s expert in key areas of statutory requirements.
Head of Compliance
Location: Flexible, Based at a WWT site with opportunity for home working
Position Type: Part Time
Working pattern: 30 hours per week across 4 days (flexible)
Salary: £34,238 per annum (£42,798 FTE) (will be reviewed in April 2022)
If you are an experienced financial accountant with a track record of managing audit and compliance then read on.
About the role
The Head of Compliance will report into the Director of Finance and Support Services, and will be responsible for ensuring WWT’s compliance in the key statutory areas of Gift Aid and GDPR. In addition, you will provide an internal audit service for WWT, ensuring financial controls are followed, thereby protecting the charity’s assets.
The role sits in the Support Services directorate, alongside other support functions such as Finance, IT, People, Property, Health & Safety, Sustainability and Legal. This team provides high quality business partnering to central teams (based at Slimbridge), teams based at the ten UK WWT wetland sites and colleagues in our international offices in Cambodia and Madagascar. The role will include travel to UK sites and possibly to our international offices.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Be the organisation’s expert in key statutory areas of charity Gift Aid, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Payment Card Industry (PCI), anti-money laundering and anti-bribery.
- Ensure compliance with these areas of regulation through collaboration with colleagues, supporting and challenging them to enable understanding and fulfilment of requirements.
- Develop an internal audit plan and carry it out to ensure compliance with internal financial controls across WWT, to protect against financial loss to the charity and its trading subsidiaries.
- Be the owner of the Risk Register and enable WWT to focus on the key organisational risks and provide constructive input into actions to mitigate those risks, leading to reduced risk.
To join WWT as the Head of Compliance you will need:
- to be a fully qualified in a professional accounting qualification or equivalent internal audit qualification
- significant experience of managing an audit or compliance function for a medium/ large organisation
- strong analytical skills with the ability to think strategically about risk management
- to be effective at developing strong relationships with teams across the organisation, including our senior managers and directors.
This is a new role for WWT, so you will have a great opportunity to set the agenda. The successful candidate will not necessarily have substantial experience in all areas, but you will relish the challenge to become WWT’s expert.
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT) is a conservation charity that protects wetlands for wildlife and people. It has an income of over £25m per year and a range of different activities, including nature reserves, visitor centres, shops and cafes.
We conserve, restore and create wetlands, are pioneers in saving wetland wildlife, and inspire everyone to value what healthy wetlands can achieve for people and nature.
We work internationally in key global hotspots and flyways where development pressure is most acute and impact on wetland nature the most damaging, balancing wetland conservation with sustainable livelihoods, and influence national and international wetland policies.
In return for your skill and dedication you’ll enjoy a wide range of benefits including:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service (pro-rata)
- Contributory pension scheme (matched contributions up to 7%, conditions apply)
- Life assurance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Personal independent financial advice session
- Free entry to all our centres
- Free parking and secure bike storage areas
Closing date: 5 December 2021
Interview date: Week commencing 13th December 2021
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you wish to find out more about our inspiring work, please click the apply button to be taken to our website where you can complete your application for this position.
WWT is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment.
Registered Charity Number England & Wales, no and Scotland, no SC039410.
No agencies please.
Employment Type Permanent
Advertiser Type Agency