HMNB Devonport PL2 2BG
About the job
Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique.
DIO is passionate about ensuring that we are a top performing organisation and a great place to work with a diverse range of talent. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and creating a culture where everyone can bring their whole self to work and individuality is truly appreciated.
DIO is a workplace where everyone feels valued and supported enabling our people to flourish, bring greater creativity and innovation to achieve higher organisational performance. We aim to develop and support staff to meet the Department’s objectives, and to fulfil their own potential.
We promote and support a range of flexible working patterns enabling staff to balance home and work responsibilities and we treat people fairly irrespective of their background.
This culture of inclusion is underpinned by our 6 staff networks covering Disability, Faith and Belief, Gender Equality, LGBTQI+, Race, Social Mobility and 3 networks dealing with employee wellbeing and support: Speak Safe Volunteers, Mental Health First Aiders and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Advisers.
Our staff, future and current will be guided by the 4 Cs and we encourage you to be curious and continuously strive for improvement, collaborative in an inclusive culture, bold and resilient and committed to Defence, empowered and able to challenge so you can play a key part in shaping the direction of our organisation.
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) is the estate expert for Defence, supporting the armed forces to enable military capability by planning, building, maintaining, and servicing infrastructure.
Our responsibilities include:
• Plan and deliver major capital projects and lifecycle refurbishment
• Provide utilities services
• Manage soft facilities management (i.e. cleaning and catering)
• Provide a safe place to train
• Allocate Service Families Accommodation
• Procure and manage routine maintenance and reactive repair
• Provide a central register of asset information to advise infrastructure planning
• Act as steward of the Defence estate
• Provide the unarmed guarding service
We employ approximately 4,900 staff from a very diverse range of professions including head office functions and specialisms such as surveyors, town planners, airfield pavement experts, foresters and construction engineers. We work across the world; in Germany, Cyprus and the Falkland Islands, Norway, Poland, Kenya, Belize, Nepal and Oman.
Job descriptionThe Challenge
Can you deliver £multi-million infrastructure projects within challenging time, cost and performance parameters in a live and busy military environment? Can you maintain high levels of stakeholder engagement and satisfaction?
Do you have a passion for leadership and the drive to build effective customer, stakeholder & supplier relationships that ensure our Armed Forces receive the facilities they require to keep our country safe?
If this sounds like you, then DIO can offer you a career doing just that.
You will work for the DIO Major Projects and Programmes directorate responsible for delivering infrastructure projects for the Royal Navy. The focus of this role will be delivering a new £100M+ re-fuelling Jetty at Oil Fuel Depot Thanckes (Torpoint, Cornwall) and complex projects at HMNB Devonport (Plymouth, Devon). As such the ability to commute between various sites is essential. You will be part of a team and network of project delivery professionals that spans the UK and overseas and you will be supported to develop your skills.
This role and team are based in HMNB Devonport, Plymouth (PL2 2BG). Travel to this location will be required weekly and at the successful candidate’s expense. We support smarter working and you will have the opportunity to work from home for some of the time – subject to operational needs.
There will be a requirement for regular travel throughout the South West of England and beyond to support project delivery (including visiting construction sites at MOD establishments), departmental initiatives and training. There may be a requirement to work regularly from alternative locations which following assessment may be determined as Dual Workplaces under HMRC guidelines. You will be required to obtain an appropriate security clearance to your role. There is limited public transport to and from the sites, as such a driving licence is required for the role.
About our team
Within DIO, Major Programmes and Projects (MPP) is responsible for the delivery of capital infrastructure and construction projects across the Defence Estate value from £3M – £1.6BN.
Working closely with industry partners MPP project managers have responsibility for delivering a broad range of projects. These include living accommodation, classrooms, offices, health facilities, technical facilities, hangars, airfield infrastructure and maritime/coastal infrastructure amongst others, throughout the UK and overseas.
Bullet Point the responsibilities of the position reducing the emphasis of direct statements such as “you will be responsible for” and instead use “An Electrical Engineer at DIO will”
As a Senior Project Manager in DIO you will:
• Provide leadership and senior intelligent client interface in the management of industry partners, selected through various procurement mechanisms to deliver infrastructure projects on behalf of DIO in line with MOD processes, procedures and contractual terms and conditions.
• Apply proactive contract management to maintain a productive working relationship with industry partners and suppliers, monitoring their performance in terms of quality, time, cost and reliability. Drive optimal delivery and promptly manage emerging issues to avoid programme delays or cost escalation.
• Manage financial performance of projects within agreed tolerances to control expenditure against approved project budgets and provide accurate financial reporting and forecasting to senior management.
• Undertake project assurance and reviews across the portfolio at key stages to evaluate progress, compliance and probability of delivery to provide confidence to senior management, customers and key stakeholders.
• Lead an integrated project team, ensuring that costs remain
within the approval and ensure that contracts are managed to deliver value for mo
Employment Type Permanent
Advertiser Type Agency