We are Global
We’re proud to be one of the world’s leading media and entertainment groups. Whether it be on-air, via global player or through our outdoor advertising, we entertain and reach over 50 million individuals across the UK every week.
Across our entire business, we’re committed to making more moments that matter for our audiences, customers and for each other. And every moment matters…the small, the big and everything in between. We couldn’t do any of it without our talented, passionate Globallers. Everything we do is driven by our culture and the talented people who make it happen.
Here at Global, we have a saying…it’s all about how you make people feel. It’s our company ethos, our guiding belief and it’s so much more than words. It’s the vibe you get when you walk into one of our offices, it’s what keeps us honest and true to who we are, and above all, it’s the reason we all love to work here.
Python Web Developer
Overview of job
We’re looking for a multi-skilled, adaptable developer with a passion for high quality code to join our established development team.
3 best things about the job
- Getting to work on some outstanding products that get used by over 30 million people.
- Work in a team that this is a fun, creative and satisfying place for developers to work.
- Work in a team where we believe in code reviews, paired programming, continuous integration, hack time and investing in developers to make them better.
Measures of success – In the first few months, you would have
- Contributed to delivering phenomenal solutions for delivering the latest innovations to our digital products.
- Proven a collaborative approach to delivering solutions.
- Shown passion to learn new things and to share knowledge with others.
- Followed sound architectural and software engineering principles in your solutions.
Responsibilities of the role
- You will be working on web services that drive Global Player and our public-facing radio websites. You’ll be working on a suite of digital products that attracts over 30 million unique visitors a month!
- APIs and tools that drive our mobile apps, and other devices such as Alexa and Google Home.
- Internal editorial and content systems that feed all our public-facing products.
What you will need
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- A multi-skilled developer who is happy to step out of their comfort zone and learn new technologies.
- Strong commercial development experience using Python.
- A strong grasp of OOP fundamentals and the use of RESTful APIs.
- Familiarity with VCS, preferably Git.
- Experience with working in a sociable, cross-functional team.
- A dedication to testing – experience of writing and maintaining unit tests; mocking frameworks and an enthusiasm for test-driven development.
- Experience of working with relational database systems and ORM frameworks.
- Understanding of the importance of Continuous Integration.
Bonus points if you tick any of the following boxes…
- Experience working with Django, Flask or Sanic.
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Experience scaling web systems to cope with millions of users.
- Experience of agile practices.
- Experience with using Docker in your development process.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with ElasticSearch or other Lucene-based search servers
Everyone is welcome at Global
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can’t possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that’s why we work hard to build an inclusive culture for everyone.
We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Where you’ll be
We have Globallers working all over the UK, so there’s plenty of flexibility in supporting your best way of working.
You can be based from anywhere in the UK and when you fancy some office vibes, we’ve got multiple UK locations to choose to work from.
And to make sure you don’t miss a thing, we’ll bring the team together in our London office a couple of times a month too.
Employment Type Permanent
Advertiser Type Agency