Our partner is leading women’s health and empowerment INGO. They are seeking a bi-lingual experienced finance professional to oversee the accounting, financial and grant management of their country programmes in West Africa. This is a really broad role and will offer the successful candidate a good all-round grounding in programmes finance. This role is London based with around 30% travel overseas.
- Supporting the country programmes in identifying challenges and weaknesses in their accounting, financial management and grants management systems, and supporting them in addressing these and building the capacity of local staff.
- Reviewing budgets & forecasts, financial and statistical performance, and balance sheet reconciliations of country programmes, following up with discrepancies.
- Ensure that country programmes meet their statutory and regulatory compliance, and that they are fully compliant with the group accounting requirements.
- Review and strengthen the internal controls & accounting processes of the country programmes.
- Support country teams in budget proposal development, and understanding grant compliance & reporting requirements, ensuring that grants are correctly set up and closed down.
- Review training needs of country teams, and help facilitate training and capacity building as required.
- Undertake interim projects or provide short-term cover in the country offices as required.
- Accountant with a university degree and a formal accounting qualification (essential)
- Strong technical accounting, financial management and reporting experience, preferably within a complex INGO.
- An analytical mind with advanced Excel skills (essential)
- Bilingual, speaking French and English fluently (essential)
- Strong communication skills, ability to work with staff and colleagues remotely, and build effective working relationships.
- Willingness to travel to West Africa, often to conflict or fragile states.
- Strong affinity and support of the partner’s work.
Candidates for permanent London based roles must have the right to work in the UK.
AfID are leading specialists in supporting NGOs operating globally with their financial management capacity & recruitment needs, on both a ‘pro-bono’ & ,commercial’ basis. For more opportunities in the international development sector (International & UK) or to find out more about how we can assist your non-profit organisation please visit the AfID website www afid org uk
Attending one of the AfID Workshops also offers invaluable insights, explaining sector jargon and demonstrating the ways accountants can navigate complex environments, in a fun and informative way. It also presents a great networking opportunity with 25 other like-minded accountants AfID’s founder and ex-Oxfam FD in attendance.
Employment Type Permanent
Advertiser Type Agency