Senior Data Engineer – Command and Control, Space and intelligence (CSI)
Location: Remote with business travel
This role sits within the Raytheon UK Cyber, Space & Training (CST) business area which focuses on:
* Space & Airborne – Collection of intelligence from small satellites, UAV and radar giving the customer a fully integrated intelligence picture
* National Security Cyber – Providing software, integration & test services supporting our partnerships across the defence and national security community in support of critical national infrastructure.
* C4I (Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence) – Providing key support services such as software, training and geospatial intelligence to mission critical operations for the UK defence community
* Training – Providing transformative training solutions for commercial and defence organisations.
Raytheon UK is looking for an experienced Data Engineer to support a wide range of projects which could touch on all 4 areas of Raytheon UK CST, and deliver large scale information systems capability developments, automation, and sustainment projects that have significant operational and strategic importance for the UK MOD. This is a complex and challenging role that will be highly rewarding and high profile, with extensive communication and interfacing requirements with the Business stakeholders, demanding excellent technical expertise, innovation, interpersonal skills and high levels of energy and stamina. The work location is variable with home working where possible but also includes Customer Sites, visits to other company sites in the UK and occasional travel to the US.
The Data Engineer will report to the CTO within the C4I part of CST but may be engaged in projects across the other areas including assignments within CST’s Strategic Research Group which focuses on innovation around AI and ML. They will help drive the technical strategy and growth of data engineering capability in the business, inspire technical excellence and high quality and innovative designs to meet complex customer requirements.
The successful candidate will be at the cutting edge of current technical knowledge, they will help select and integrate data integration, ELT/ETL technologies, data publishing and analytics tools within Hybrid Cloud and containerised on-premises environments. They will be responsible for the design of secure and scaleable architectures supporting the data lifecycle activities and integration with other COTS/bespoke tools for exploitation. Raytheon follow Agile methodologies and use a DevSecOps delivery approach wherever possible and provide training in the latest tools and techniques. There will also be an opportunity to engage and work with experts across the wider Raytheon UK and US businesses.
The Data Engineer’s key tasks are those of a technical expert deeply involved in shaping and implementing technical solutions and supporting the technical team with thought leadership in their area of expertise. Examples of those tasks include but are not limited to:
* Solution definition and design for client problems as part of a project team
* Support for business development activities by helping articulate candidate approaches
* Acting as an expert SME to the business and colleagues on aspects of data architecture and data lifecycle approaches
* Hands-on implementation of data lifecycle technologies in a cloud native, hybrid cloud or on-premises environment
* Work with the Strategic Research Group to advance technical knowledge and intellectual property around data engineering architectures
The following skills are required for the role –
* A good understanding of the Data Lifecycle and the activities at each stage
* Strong Data Modelling skills, using any appropriate tool
* Awareness of data schema types such as Transactional and Star schemas
* Experience of working with both structured and unstructured data sets
* Understanding of RDBMS, either traditional Oracle, MS SQL etc. or Cloud equivalents and also Key/Pair data stores
* Data manipulation language skills, e.g SQL or HiveQL
* Knowledge of ETL tools and techniques and preparation approaches such as Map Reduce
* Good basic understanding of at least one of AWS or Azure Cloud environments, architectures and tooling
* Deep understanding of the standard data science toolset including Python, Jupyter, Apache Spark, Kafka, Elastic and the wider Hadoop eco-system
* Good knowledge of pipeline orchestrations tools and such as NiFI, KubeFlow, Apache Airflow, Luigi and MLFlow
* Strong knowledge of Containerisation and Orchestration tools including but not limited to Docker & Kubernetes
* Understanding of DevSecOps best practices
Your professional achievements must demonstrate:
* Experience creating and deploying production-grade Big Data workloads in a Hadoop eco-system (either on-prem or public cloud)
* Experience with provisioning and co-ordinating virtual machines using VMWare or Microsoft Hypervisors
* Proven ability to create software artefacts using modern software engineering best practices where appropriate
You should have hands-on experience designing, creating, building and operating complex software systems, good verbal and written communication skills, be able to work with autonomy but also work well within a team. The role involves assessing and integrating new and emerging technologies, so a proactive and inquisitive mindset is welcomed.
Raytheon UK welcomes individuals with a broad range of experiences, diverse careers and technical qualifications. Such diversity of thought is an asset, and as such, broad career experience is valuable. Examples of relevant experience or qualifications are:
* Professional data science certifications (eg Cloudera Data Scientist) or other technologies.
* Experience with GPU and FPGA configurations
* Experience working in the Defence and National Security domain, in particular direct experience working with UK Government customers.
* Evidence of proactive self-development and self-directed learning such as Cloud certification
Employment Type Permanent
Advertiser Type Agency