Technical Manager- Catering Supplies – (Part time, 3 days per week – Preferably Mon – Weds, but could be flexible)
£Competitive, Excellent career development, company car, discounted products and services and much more!
Your local pub, your favourite restaurant, your children’s schools all have one thing in common – Brakes. There are a lot of hungry mouths to feed out there and every day we deliver 1.5 million products from our fleet of 2000 trucks to thousands of restaurants, pubs, hotels, schools, hospitals and care homes in every corner of the UK. Our customers count on us for exceptional food and service, and as our response to Covid-19 proved, our 6,000-strong workforce is dedicated and proud to play their part in feeding the nation
We are currently recruiting a people centric and results driven Technical Manager to join our Technical Catering Supplies team, Reporting into the Head of Product Technology based in Ashford, Kent. (This is an Office Based role – however, we would be looking for flexibility to homework whilst during the current pandemic)
To work as part of a designated category team and manage all elements relating to Product Quality, Safety, Legality, and Integrity for a defined portfolio of suppliers and products ensuring a comprehensive technical support service is provided. Using knowledge of suppliers, products, markets and manufacturing processes to reduce or mitigate product costs and to design and develop innovative, market leading new products. Active role in leading the packaging agenda to drive continuous improvement and consistency across the business.
Our technical colleagues are a central hub of knowledge, and as a Technical Manager, you’ll ensure that your team are on hand to support the business in every way possible. You’ll be instrumental in rolling out and embedding tactical plans in line with our ambitious growth strategy and you’ll bring functional expertise to ensure that we deliver, whilst keeping an eye on costs and creating an inclusive team working environment.
• Provide support, guidance and expertise to the procurement & category team in context of supplier selection, supplier expertise, product quality attributes and control parameters which will successfully contribute to exceeding customer expectations, growing sales and profit.
• Support the Constellation initiative to deliver against the annual growth target.
• Stay abreast of industry challenges, issues and developments, sharing insight within the technical, category & procurements teams to mitigate impact and support sales growth.
• Effective supplier management from initial selection & approval through conducting site visits, setting clear technical expectations, providing guidance & support, issuing performance updates and instigate joint business/improvement plans.
• Maintain the approved supplier database, complete due diligence visits as required ensuring visit reports are documented and all non-conformances are effective closed out.
• Maintain up to date specifications for all products.
• Generate and approve own brand artwork.
• Instigate product risk management action plan & develop an awareness of emerging issues, escalating within the business to mitigate business and customer impact.
• Focus on complaint trending, monitoring & root case analysis, working with suppliers to support the annual KPI.
• Instigate a robust quality assessment programme for product range.
• Provide support & input to ensure marketing literature is informative for our customers.
• Deliver innovative technical solutions which add value to the business in areas such as cost reduction and/or improved quality without cost increase.
• Support the 6 stage category management process.
• Support the team in strengthening / consolidating the supply base.
You’ll live and breathe Customer First, with an innovative and agile approach to identify new ideas and methods. You’ll enjoy working collaboratively with a dedicated focus on driving results. You will be resilient – accepting and learning from mistakes and building future solutions. Naturally, you will embrace an inclusive working environment and be committed to acting with integrity and honesty in everything you do.
Required skills and competencies:
• Degree with a scientific/food and/or sustainability background.
• Relevant industry experience.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Strong IT skills.
• Knowledge of effective quality management & HACCP systems.
• Knowledge of European and UK legislation.
• Effective communication skills.
• Well-organized and effective project management skills.
• Willingness to travel.
• Flexible and adaptable approach.
• Sound understanding of packaging development, processes and environmental issues.
• Sound understanding of current legislation.
• Sound understanding of developing trends and technologies.
• Experience working in multifunctional teams
• Strong and effective communication skills
• Very good organisational and project management skills
What you’ll get:
• A competitive salary
• Huge discount on all sorts of lovely food and award-winning products
• Generous holiday allowance, with option to purchase more
• Recognition awards and Incentives
• Real career opportunities – being part of Sysco, the world’s leading foodservice business, opens up a world of possibility
• And much more….
There’s a lot on offer, so what are you waiting for?
Bring your whole self to work. #BelongAtBrakes
At Brakes we’re passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We don’t want you to ‘fit’ our culture, we want you to help define it.
All job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender identity or reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
FEED YOUR AMBITION. DELIVER YOUR FUTURE
Employment Type Permanent
Advertiser Type Agency